Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 to SPI for ATMega32

Status
Not open for further replies.

codedawg

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to connect my RS232 with MAX232 to my ATMega32 (http://www.atmel.com/Images/8272S.pdf) for ISP but I think I must be missing a component. If I'm going to do ISP, do I need something to convert the UART from RS232 to interface with SPI? What would I use to do this? Is there a chip that converts UART to SPI or something?

Also, I found this website for interfacing the Arduino ISP which shoudl be similar - **broken link removed**

They have a RS232 going to MAX232 which I also have, but then they have connections going to two units (SV1 and SV2) --- is this the component I'm missing? Or can is there a more direct way to interface my serial module (RS232+MAX232) to my Atmel?

Hi,

Assuming you have a USB port then to program a chip via ISP then you need a simple programmer like this -
**broken link removed**
Or you can buy a Dragon if you are feeling rich.

You can program via a serial link from the PC via max232 , with the serial ( usart) connections on the Mega chip, but it uses what called a pre programmed Bootloader to load in the user program code from the serial link.

I'm trying to program the chip via serial based on requirements for my project so I'm stuck with using the max232. Is there anything to convert from UART to SPI directly? or would I have to purchase something like a MAX3100 to interface with the Atmel? Also, the reason I'm using SPI is because I may need to reprogram the bootloader so I want to be able to leave that option open as well.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.