Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

set_input_delay means ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sages

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I'm confused about set_input_delay in DC. Does it mean the delay from the signal source through the I/O pad to the input port (no matter the port is register's or gate's) ? Or it means the delay from the signal source through the I/O pad to the first stage's register in the design?

Another question is : if I have two different designed modules A and B, and one output of A is connected to one input of B. What if both output of A and input of B are registered, should the set_input_delay be zero????

Hi guys,
I'm confused about set_input_delay in DC. Does it mean the delay from the signal source through the I/O pad to the input port (no matter the port is register's or gate's) ? Or it means the delay from the signal source through the I/O pad to the first stage's register in the design?

set_input_delay means the delay from signal source (usually clk input of a signal launching flop external to I/O) to the I/O pad

Another question is : if I have two different designed modules A and B, and one output of A is connected to one input of B. What if both output of A and input of B are registered, should the set_input_delay be zero????

The input delay here will be from clk input of a signal launching flop in A to corresponding input port in design B

Think of this way, if input delay is not mentioned, then data path time margin is optimistic as in reality some time will be used up in travelling to input port from source of the signal. Without input delay, your design may be passing setup but in reality if input delay is considered it may violate setup in capturing flop.

Thank U for ur explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back