Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac Voltage regulator using Triac

Status
Not open for further replies.

elleader

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to make ac voltage regulator from 220 ac to 110 ac for load 10 A , 1000 Watt
it's my first time to use a triac and i need help in that (circuits and ratings)

Dear elleader
Hi
It is simple , but what is your problem , exactly ? in feed back section ? in triac driver ?
Best Luck
Goldsmith

every thing about this object :???:
if i need to use micro controller or not
and the suitable components for the load

Thnx in advance goldsmith

I think you can use another components , e.g two mosfet , it will be more suitable , because you can turn off your mosfets at your desired time simply , but about triacs : if you turn them on , if you want turn them off with command signal , it will be a bit difficult .
So , at first , tell , me , please , that is it important to you , to use triac , exactly ? why not two mosfet ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I need only to make this
ac voltage regulator from 220 ac to 110 ac for load 10 A , 1000 Watt
if u know any good way tell me
and explain it

Well , see below , please :
AC voltage.JPG
If you can't understand it's behavior , i can describe it !
Good luck
Goldsmith

@Goldsmith:

Can u give me brief detail about that component?
If I want to use TRIAC to regulate the voltage.

@Goldsmith:

Hi Omshankar
About what component ? triac ? or mosfet ?
Of course you can use triac to regulate average voltage but , it needs more complicated circuits instead of Mosfets !
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

@Goldsmith:

When using triac, the output will be regulated either by means of phase angle control or pulse skipping modulation. Thus the output is regulated by wave shape distortion or modification. You do not end up with the same wave shape as the input. Also, the peak voltage is 220 * √2 and not 110 *√2.

So, using triac may be okay for certain loads. But it won't be okay for all loads. So, keep in mind the drawbacks I have mentioned. It is better to use MOSFETs and SPWM to regulate the voltage and not distort output wave shape.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Last edited:

For resistive loads like iron, bulb heater etc.
Replace TIC226 with high current triac, like BTA16 and 10A fuse instead of 2A.

6778397800_1351276730.jpg

**broken link removed**

and not distort output wave shape.
Hi Tahmid
Who told that this arrangement don't have THD ? it has of course ! but it's value is lower instead of classical method .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi Tahmid
Who told that this arrangement don't have THD ? it has of course ! but it's value is lower instead of classical method .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Perhaps you did not understand what I meant.
When using pulse skipping or phase angle control, the output wave is not a proper continuous sine wave. For pulse skipping, a lot of cycles are (as the name suggests) skipped. For phase angle control, part of the cycle is "cut", so what you have at the end is not a continuous proper sine wave.

However, in MOSFET-based PWM-based switching converter, at the output you will get a proper continuous sine wave, but with a certain level of impurity or distortion. However, you have a complete proper sine wave. The basic shape of the wave is not disrupted or distorted as you get a proper continuous sine wave.

A diagram would better illustrate the associated problem.
Consider the 3 diagrams below for phase angle control at 3 different angles. While average value is reduced, the peak voltage isn't and the wave is not a continuous sine wave.

1012308900_1351284629.png

2149682600_1351284329.png

2022147200_1351284329.png

I hope I could make myself clear.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Tahmid , your statement is a bit confusing because at post #10 you've told that
And now you're telling
, but with a certain level of impurity or distortion.
I know principles of controllers with triacs and mosfets as well . and i understand what is your aim . you can use proper words to avoid this confusions . isn't it ?

Respectfully
Goldsmith

Perhaps you found my statements ambiguous. But I thought I was clear enough.
I said:

I meant distortion of the sinusoidal shape of the wave as "disruption" as it's used in plain English, not in a technical context as in harmonic distortion.

Hope I could make it clearer.

I meant distortion of the sinusoidal shape of the wave as "disruption" as it's used in plain English, not in a technical context as in harmonic distortion.

What is your definition by distortion ? we have three kind of distortion :
1-Phase distortion
2-frequency distortion
3- amplitude distortion

Are you familiar with fourier series ? if yes , try to mention spectrum of such signal . what you'll see ? or give it to an spectrum analyzer ? ( do you have spectrum analyzer ?) if yes see it . then you'll understand what i'm trying to refer .

Regards
Goldsmith

I was talking about the plain English word distortion meaning deformation or twisting out of shape, not in a technical context.

I was talking about the plain English word distortion meaning deformation or twisting out of shape, not in a technical context.
My friend , why we are here ? to talk about technical issues . not anything else .

I want to trigger TRIAC from 175 degree to 179 degree range of AC220 V cycle. could a simple RC trigger circuit do it? like the one used in ceiling fan speed regulator.

I want to trigger TRIAC from 175 degree to 179 degree range of AC220 V cycle. could a simple RC trigger circuit do it? like the one used in ceiling fan speed regulator.
Hi seaspac

If you need that precision , one or two RC networks for trigger are not trust able to be so precise . i think you'll need a digital trigger pulse generator like a micro controller and then taking feedback and also using a zero cross detector .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back