Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware Design for Smart Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

negreponte

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could you help me about this topic?
Could you inform me about the cryptographic standards that smart cards enclose?

actually data in smartcard will do nothing about crypto, crypto is done by system to read smartcard,
if you want design a IFD(interface device) , just simple transmit and read data from smartcard,
not do any protocol decoding logic

It depends your protocal. 14443 uses encrypt.

yes, there are smart cards that encloses
crypto functions. My question is which is the most
widespread secure protocol that smart card uses
for electronic transactions.

That depends on the application. In a banking environment often used algorithms are RSA & DES (on the card) especially for challenge-response-authentication. But I doubt if datasheets are available without signing a NDA....

Mik

thank you, any proposed references??

This should be relevant to your question
**broken link removed**

does anybody know how can I find the design specifications for smart card crypto chips?
(power, maximum area)

thank you

ISO7816 is the standard for contact smart card and ISO1443 is for contactless smart card.But they're not cryptographic standards.Normally,there're a 1024/2048 bit RSA co-process module and a DES/3DES module in the card which supports hardware encryption.You can refer to Infineon,ST,Philips and Atmel's correlative products.

More,if you want the hardware implementations of those algorithms,you can get many on the web.

hi

can any one propose some sites that gives more information about implementing these algorithms

There are a lot of cryptography scheme which is used in smart card. It depends on the card type and operating system.
For example in Mifare card DES cryptography is used, but in Mifare DESFire , 3DES is used in many smart cards 3 DES is used. However RSA is used in some card that make them more expensive. Now modern chips have hardware cryptography that do cryptography by engines, like RSA engine DES engine ,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back