Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the A in PIC16F628A stands for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f628 vs pic16f628a

Hi,

May I know what's the different between PIC16F628 and PIC16F628A? It seems that the pins layout are completely compatible. I found from Microchip.com that the main different is that PIC16F628 has an interface of USART while PIC16F628A has an interface of AUSART! But what's AUSART? I couldnt find anything abt AUSART from its datasheet! Besides, What's the A in PIC16F628A stands for?

Thanks for your time! :)

Regards,
Eric

pic 16f628a

From my experience, It means Mostely that they revised the DIE and they usualy add a little more flexability in the configuration words and sometimes even functionality. Generally they are cheaper than the non "A" version and have been always drop-in and code compatable. That is ,nothing is taken out , or moved and new things ar just added.

pic 16f628

If you want to use the 16F628 "A" types you should check the datacode on your chip with the erratas on the microchip site.

There were and are still a low of problems with the "A" types.

You should also carefully check the configuration fuses as some of them changed their position inside the configuration word.

I am still using the non "A" types for production.

best regards

pic16f628 pic16f628a

well from what ive heard, the 628A is basically a silicon revision of the 628. it uses Flash memory instead of EEPROM. the difference comes in the algorithm for the programming software. the amount of bits that can be written simultaneously using Flash and EEPROM is different. but from a programming viewpoint there is not much of a change

difference between pic16f628 and pic16f628a

"AUSART" is an abbreviation for "addressable universal synchronous asynchronous receiver transmitter".

It is described in the Micr0chip application note at:

**broken link removed**

A letter following a chip number indicates a revision to the chip - either in functionality or in performance. The basic design fucntions of the chip with the basic number have been retained; however, improvements have been made.

pic16f628a vs pic16f628

Hi
the most important difference between 16F628 and 16F628A is the ICD2 capability :D

difference pic16f628 and pic16f628a

PIC16F628 don't have analog comparator module.
PIC16F628A integrated analog comparator.
and Configulation bit pattern are differance.

This is not correct information.
PIC16F628 and PIC16F628A have analog comparator module.

Here are migration document for this device.
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/40048a.pdf

There are small difference between of them and reading of the upper document is needed if you migrate from one to other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back