Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have to choose between Front end Design or Back end in VLSI Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaval004

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am Dhaval from Bangalore, India.
Currently I am doing internship in Analog Design Domain at Honeywell Technology Solutions Lab, Bangalore as a part of my 2nd year M.Tech. Microelectronics. My M.Tech. will be over by May-2012. I have a job offer in VLSI company in which I have to choose between Front end Design or Back end design.

For Front end Design :
They mainly work on Verilog and System Verilog for design and verification.

For Back end Design:

It is Analog and Mixed Signal Design. They are using cadence tools or Design Compiler.
They mainly work on:
Schematic entry, layout, LVS, DRC, STA, RC Extraction etc...means full backend design flow.

So, My confusion is which one to choose. I have basic knowledge of both. Like in FE I know basic vhdl and verilog. In Back end i had done CMOS Invertor in cadence (from schematic to layout to lvs and drc).

I found back end more chellenging comparatively froent end. I mean any one who knows C/C++ very well can do FE design by using free wares but every one cant do back end design.

So, My question is that which one is better (I mean for the future perspective:) ).
Which field is high paying field.
Based on all you all suggestion i am going to choose my field and in mean time i will concentrate in that field.

Any inputs are highly appreciable.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhaval

Hi Dhaval,

Each of them have got its own advantages and dis-advantages...From the prospects of high pay, I recommend Front-end job, but since, you found back end more chellenging compared to front end, you will be able to excel more there....Hope this is sufficient to make up the mind....

Hi Dhaval,

Each of them have got its own advantages and dis-advantages...From the prospects of high pay, I recommend Front-end job, but since, you found back end more chellenging compared to front end, you will be able to excel more there....Hope this is sufficient to make up the mind....

Thanks for the reply.
Can you be more specific with "Each of them have got its own advantages and dis-advantages."
Can you tell me what are the adv. dis adv. for both of the field.

Can any one help me with detailed suggestions?

Last edited:

Hi,
Is anyone there with more specific answer?
Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back