Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between 100K ECL and 10KH ECL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcomdd

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which is the difference between 100K ECL and 10KH ECL ?

Any interesting link to this topic ?

Thank You in advanec

marco

100k ecl motorola temperature

10K is voltage compensated for VOH, VOL, and Vref (VBB) levels, but these levels vary with temperature. While 100K, VOH, VOL, and Vref (VBB) are both voltage and temperature compensated.

The 10K standard originally came from Motorola, I believe, and the 100K standard came from Fairchild.

I've attached a paper on 10K ECL and a beginners lecture on ECL.

I would also recommend searching the ON Semiconductor, which was has the former Motorola division that specializes in ECL/PECL products.

I would also recommend:
MECL System design handbook, which you should be able to get from ON Semiconductor. This was the "bible" for ECL designers.

In the book "Analysis and Design of Digital Integrated Circuits" by Hodges and Jackson, there is a chapter on ECL 10K and 100K circuit topologies.

10k ecl

There are several other differences. One of these (I think the 100k) has a built in band gap reference to make the levels more precise and independent of the supply voltages. This allows different parts of the circuits to operate from different supplies.

Another difference is the switching times. One version of ECL that came out later on had slower times because of the layout problems with 1 ns edges which were not needed in many systems. Remember that ECL was invented early on before the schottky version of TTL came out. There was a big speed gap between the 20 ns of TTL and the 1 ns of ECL.

101 logic question

Sometimes, people may get confused as what is meant with 10KH and 100K. Some people will look at it as a logic family developed in the late 70's early 80's by Motorola (10KH) and Fairchild (100K).

You can also look in terms of specs (output voltage levels) 10K/10KH vs. 100K. I do know that the more "modern" 10KH products, developed in the late 80's, did have on chip bandgaps.

Todays ECL/PECL logic parts developed on SiGe have bandwidths > 7 GHz, tr/tf < 35ps, and Tpd < 120ps.

ecl 10k 100k difference

krashkealoha said:
10K is voltage compensated for VOH, VOL, and Vref (VBB) levels, but these levels vary with temperature. While 100K, VOH, VOL, and Vref (VBB) are both voltage and temperature compensated.

The 10K standard originally came from Motorola, I believe, and the 100K standard came from Fairchild.

I've attached a paper on 10K ECL and a beginners lecture on ECL.

I would also recommend searching the ON Semiconductor, which was has the former Motorola division that specializes in ECL/PECL products.

I would also recommend:
MECL System design handbook, which you should be able to get from ON Semiconductor. This was the "bible" for ECL designers.

In the book "Analysis and Design of Digital Integrated Circuits" by Hodges and Jackson, there is a chapter on ECL 10K and 100K circuit topologies.

Do you have the solution manual to the book by hodges and jackson.............?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back