Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why this transistor,fuse and diode burned when i turn on the power supply,what couse_

Status
Not open for further replies.

interneti

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why this transistor,fuse and diode burned when i turn on the power supply,what cause_

Please i need your help, if anyone can help me.
I have this power suppply " Lambda Alpha 600W power supply " ,
When i turn on the power supply the transistor in the picture (STP7NB60 ) burned ,
and the fuse blow .
(original transistor is IRFIB7N50 is replaced by STP7NB60 )

i have checked for short circuit but i dident find any shorted element, i have checed all diodes and capacitors,fet transistors in
the board,they are good.

when i i turn on the power supply without this transistor(STP7NB60) the fuse is ok(not blow) and the voltage in the
rectifier diode is good, when i just put the transistor(STP7NB60) in the board the fuse blow and this transistor burned in MOMENT .

why this happened, what cause it?. how to fix it please..

The images

I need your help please..
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING.

Last edited:

Re: Why this transistor,fuse and diode burned when i turn on the power supply,what ca

Please i need your help, if anyone can help me.
I have this power suppply " Lambda Alpha 600W power supply " ,
When i turn on the power supply the transistor in the picture (STP7NB60 ) burned ,
and the fuse blow .
(original transistor is IRFIB7N50 is replaced by STP7NB60 )

i have checked for short circuit but i dident find any shorted element, i have checed all diodes and capacitors,fet transistors in
the board,they are good.

when i i turn on the power supply without this transistor(STP7NB60) the fuse is ok(not blow) and the voltage in the
rectifier diode is good, when i just put the transistor(STP7NB60) in the board the fuse blow and this transistor burned in MOMENT .

why this happened, what cause it?. how to fix it please..

The images

I need your help please..
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING.
check the fet you are replacing with whether it is p-channel or n-channel,if the first one is n-channel which i think and the other is p-channel then you must have to change its drain and source connection,if this not ,check what is the voltage on gate with respect to negative.the voltage on gate should be like 15v.regards

IRFIB7N50A pdf, IRFIB7N50A description, IRFIB7N50A datasheets, IRFIB7N50A view ::: ALLDATASHEET ::: link for IRF1B7N50A
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/5325.pdf link for STP7NB60 .
can you see in those link if this replacements is good . I have checked other complenets and they are good,
some resistor near trnaistor(STPNB60) was burned, i replaced them with new..so all components looks good.
Why this transistor burned imediately when i turn on the power supply ??...

Need more info, what’s the hole history about this power supply? Have you changed also other components?
Next time try a better PCB solder side photos. ;-)

Attachments

• PCb part 1.JPG
    PCb part 1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 182

when i dissasemble this power supply at first time , i found there the transistor IRFIB7N50 shorted ,a diode and another transistor near it
was shorted to ,i replaced the transistor IRF... by STP7NB60. and other component with their equivalent, near
Transistor IRFB7n50 i found some smd resistor burned(open resistors ). i dident replace them at first time.because
i dident identify any shorted elements. then i turn on the power supply and in moment the fuse blow up,and the
new transistor STP7NB60 was burned(shorted), and a diode near it goinig in shorted/ i check again for any
components in shorted that cause the fuse burned.but again i dident identify any shorted circuit,
i check all diodes, all capacitors in board for any bad elements, but they are good.
I replace this transistor again with STP7NB60 and again when i turn on the power ,the transistor
burned /

mister_rf in the picture it is not seriously,it is rubber near that coil,i want to thank you ALL..

if you make a cable up that has a 100W lamp {not low energy types } a filament type

in series with the live to the psu from mains like

Neutral ----------------------neutral to psu

live------\/\/\/\lamp\/\/\/\----live to psu

earth------------------------earth {if used}

then your new device wont blow up

what will happen is the lamp will limit the current to the psu
if there is a problem then the lamp will light up
taking up the current that would kill the psu
when its working ok then the lamp will be dull

you may find that the bridge rectifier is leaky across some of its diodes

i use 20mohm range and test in reverse all diodes for any leak...

hope this help you to stop blowing up your devices you replaced after all they are not so cheep

i would take the fet;s out and the diode out then power up and test the voltages around the board
perhaps the fet and i think it will be its damper diode are blowing
three reason why bad drive bad timing of drive or bad output coils

i think as the damper diode also goes it will be bad timing

i would check every single component
start with the ones that drive the bad devices

Last edited:
Ok listen interneti
tell me something : the back of the original mosfet is made from plastic ? And the new on is metal ??? I'm i Right ??
if yes lets do some tests :

1 - first use a 100watt light bulb connected in series with the live line. The best place to put the light bulb is the fuse holder area. Remove one of the fuse lead and connect the light bulb across it
2 - put the new mosfet without sticking the back with the heat sink
3 - Power it on and begin to observe the bulb.If it brightly lit and stay that way then there is still problem in the power supply. However, if the bulb doesn’t light at all then this is a good sign that the power supply may be working.Use a multimeter to place at the secondary side with power on. If you get some accurate voltage reading from the outputs and the bulb doesn’t light at all, then this confirmed that the power supply is working

I want to thank you all for your helps.
For moment i cant repair this power supply.

Again i thank you very much !...

Anyway .. Try what I Told you and you'll solve the problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back