Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does scaling voltage supply to lower levels reduces crosstalk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was learning "Digital Integrated Circuits" by Jan Rabaey where he states that one advantage of reducing the supply voltage to lower levels is that reduces the crosstalk.

I just couldn't understand how.

Could you please help me in sorting this out?

Thanks in advance.:grin:

Smaller supply voltage means slower rise/fall times which means less crosstalk.

I wouldn't think that smaller supply voltage necessarily means slower rise/fall times: LVDS drivers prove the opposite. And Fig. 4 of your a.m. paper states "Cross talk noise is a strong function of rise time and is a serious concern when rise time becomes less than 200 ps in deep-submicrometer technologies." -- which corresponds to lower supply voltage usage.

I also don't see a systematic relation between supply voltage and crosstalk. If you want to do increase rise- and fall-times arteficially, you can do easily, you don't need to modify the supply voltage for it.

I think, if the said author is claiming a relation, you should primarly try to follow his reasoning and possibly quote the key points here.

Perhaps rise time doesn't decrease but the dv/dt of the signals has to decrease since the transistors have smaller Vgs - Vth, and larger resistance. However the effect will be minor compared to performance loss from lowering VDD. I'm assuming the question means decreasing VDD for a specific process, not decreasing VDD through process scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back