Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does diffraction grating work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I already read this.

Yet I still can not understand that how this thing works in dispertion?

Can you explain this for me somehow?

Thanks in advance

Yet I still can not understand that how this thing works in dispertion?
Dispersion?

I think that the Diffraction formalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia article has a more visual explanation when referring to double slits, although not explicitely discussing the difference to multi-slits or gratings.

But effectively, it's all in the expression
a sinθ = nλ

does this imply that only certain wavelength can diffraction from the slits?

That is to say, wavelength represents certain wave, or in other words, certain frequency, so that it select the frequency from the light wavepackets after the slits.

If so, samely for grating, then.

Maybe this is the way it works in dispertion of lights.

Thanks man, you point this out for me!

Sincelry

Literally, the ability of a diffraction grating to separate light of different wavelength is not based on dispersion. At least in the usual understanding, dispersion is a frequency dependency of phase velocity. A prism monochromator e.g. utilizes dispersion.

The chromatic separation of diffraction grating is based on interference. A mathematical explanation can be found here:
Fraunhofer diffraction (mathematics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back