Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basically ; What are basically ARM processors; Diff b/w ARM and FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

atifsheikh_91

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hy All!

What are the difference between ARM processors and how can i learn ARM processors?
My Final Year Project advisior told me to implement Active Power Factor Correction using FPGAs . is it a feasible solution ? if I use ARM would it be more technical approach, ? and which one offers more bright future scope

P.S: I dont know about any these technologies and please explain me in very easy and beginner's level.

Regards

Arm processors are a family of processor architectures, some more powerful that others, you will have to read on the arm website to find the ins and outs of whats what with each processor.
You cant "learn arm processors", you will need to learn C or C++ if you are going to be doing anything much more complicated that flashing an LED and then you will need to refer to the processor data sheet to find out about how to write to ports and use peripherals etc, the datasheet for the processor should be available from the vendor that you buy the processor off of. The best way to learn about programming a uP is to buy a development kit, there are some nice ones on the farnell website.
An FPGA is basically a load of logic elements that you use a language such as VHDL or verilog to describe the hardware that you need to perform a task. Again, I would recommend buying a development kit, Terasic do some great ones for a reasonable price.
I have got to say that implementing anything complicated on either of these platforms with no experience on either in 6months is going to be tricky, not impossible, but hard work.

Good luck with the project :)

What are the difference between ARM processors and how can i learn ARM processors?

The ARM is a series of 32-bit RISC core architectures, solely owned by ARM Holdings PLC. ARM is an acronym, originally derived from the ACORN RISC Machine, later renamed the Advanced RISC Machine. While the ARM series core architectures are the Intellectual Property (IP) of ARM Holdings, ARM Holdings does not actual manufacture any ARM devices, but instead licenses an ARM Core to numerous manufactures, who combine a particular ARM Core with various peripheral modules, ADC, USART, etc, and produce these designs under their brand.

This policy ensures the coding portability by enforcing strict ARM Core design. The differences between one manufactures ARM7TDMI based device and another, is primarily the peripheral modules offered.

Detailed documentation covering all the ARM Core Series can be obtained from the ARM Holdings site:

ARM The Architecture for the Digital World

Documentation pertaining to a particular ARM variant is available form the specific manufacture, some examples:

NXP formally Philips Semiconductor

Atmel ARM Based Solutions

TI ARM Processors

ST Microelectronics

Hope the info helps in your endeavors,

BigDog

Reactions: deniah

deniah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hy All!

My Final Year Project advisior told me to implement Active Power Factor Correction using FPGAs . is it a feasible solution ? if I use ARM would it be more technical approach, ? and which one offers more bright future scope

P.S: I dont know about any these technologies and please explain me in very easy and beginner's level.

Regards

Major difference between FPGA solution and the solution with an ARM microcontroller is:
FPGA solution will use hardware for the algorithm being faster, more expensive and using more power
ARM solution will use software to execute the algorithm, slower, cheaper and less power.

There are actually two manufacturers that combine programmable logic and ARM core.
Cypress PSoC 5
Actel SmartFusion

hth, Bob

Thanks all for your reply :)

Questions have no limits :p ... I have one more question to ask, being a student of final year in Electronic Engg. which technology should I choose to work on?
I mean to say that future belongs to whom? either ARM or FPGAs?

Can I use single IC of ARM or FPGA as I do with AVR & PICs by just applying clock signals and power?

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.