Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS Buck Converter Controller Design and ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmaraDissa

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am required to build a buck converter which would be able to convert 230V AC to 210V DC with 25mA load current. I am having significant trouble designing the controlling part for the converter.

1. I need to know some widely available and used controller ICs used for feedback control.

2. I also want to know how I can provide Vcc to the controller IC by converting the 230V AC to a voltage close to 5V DC.

3. For comparison purposes I think I would need to convert the 210V output voltage to a lower voltage that a controller IC can manage. I initially thought of using a voltage divider, but am worried that the accuracy of the output voltage would be lowered due to low tolerance values in the resistors.

Can I know what other methods are available for doing this (since it is hard for me to find good quality resistors in my country)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am close to clueless at the moment. :cry::cry:

The idea of a buck conv.. is to switch the transistor say 50% on/off this way u will not have the problem of having the series transistor holding across collector emiter about 70v dc and 25mamps .
so first rectify full wave getting about 300 volts to colector and apply 50khz to base the output emmiter needs a coil.
thats the general idea .
u will need ltspice to get all the calculations right.
Here is a example of buck boost supply u will need to adapt all comp to your voltages the hv transistor is added thru opto (not shown ) BUCKBOOST EXAMPLE.JPG

Last edited:

Hi my friends
You can not use an lm2576 , at this aim , simply . you should use a opto coupler , and a mosfet . you will ask , why ?!!
That IC can not tolerate that voltages . but you can use an opto coupler to give command from lm2576 to that , and thus , you can give the command to a mosfet , and thus you will have a High power buck regulator . and your feed back will be at the end of the filter , at the end of your mosfet.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.