Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - Can I select an object inside another - such as part of antenna in an AirBox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeboraHarry

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've got an antenna simulation all set up, and have the AirBox to get the far-field data. Naturally, all of my antenna is inside the AirBox. If I hover the mouse over a part of the antenna, as shown below, note HFSS shows "AirBox". That's because AirBox is outside my antenna, so looking from outer space, the nearest item is the AirBox, and not the antenna inside.

75_1324996290.png

Now if I try to select part of the antenna using the mouse, I can't do it, since I just select the airbox. One click of the mouse gives me this:

37_1324996311_thumb.png

which is obviously not what I want to select.

The only way I seem to be able to select the object I want is to use the menus and select it by name.

I'm sure I've seen other people using HFSS select an item inside an AriBox, by holding down some keys, but I can't seem to find anything that works.

Sometimes I resort to deleting the AirBox so I can edit the rest of the antenna, then reinstating the AirBox, and setting up the boundary conditions again, which is a very tedious way to work!

Any suggestions how I can select an object with a mouse that's inside an AirBox?

Last edited:

Hello Debora

There are other ways of selecting elements either objects or faces.

One you can select the them is by their names in the project tree which you have already mentioned.

Second way is to use the select byname. if you want to select a certain face or edge you can right click and select the appropriate option . from there go ahead and click on the option called select by name on the toolbar. once you click that it will open up a dialogue box to select the object first and depending on your selecting option chosen at the moment it will display either the faces of or edges.

Select by name icon is "s" inside a red circle. if its not on your toolbar right click on the toolbar and choose 3D modeler selection mode.
Hope that was helpful. if its not clear let me know

Best Regards
Sajid Mohammed.

Hello Debora

There are other ways of selecting elements either objects or faces.
<snip>
Select by name icon is "s" inside a red circle. if its not on your toolbar right click on the toolbar and choose 3D modeler selection mode.
Hope that was helpful. if its not clear let me know

Best Regards
Sajid Mohammed.

Thank you, that was most helpful. I did not have the "s" on my toolbar, but I've put it there now.

Debora

You are welcome and let me know if i can be of any further assistance.

Regards
Chachito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back