Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: Capacitor questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

severed5

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I blew a 16v 47uf cap on my digital voltmeter. I was just wondering if there is any other combo of caps that I could use in place of this? I'm finding tons of 50v,10v,25v 47uf caps everywhere but the 16v is eluding me in every electronic device that I open up. Any ideas on where to find 16v 47uf caps? I know I could order another one online but I'm trying to use what I have and maybe learn something.
Thx!

You can use a capacitor with the same or higher voltage rating.
The voltage is the max operating voltage so a higher rating is better but usually has a bigger size too so you must chech first if the 25v capacitor can fit in your pcb.

Alex

Reactions: qayyoum

qayyoum

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi
if any one want to my experience then i will 100% agree with Alex
T/C
bye

If you have a 47uF / 25V capacitor, that should do fine as replacement for a 47uF / 16V one as long as it fits in there.

Also watch polarity :!: Larger capacitors like 47uF are usually electrolytic type & therefore have a "+" and "-" side. Normally this is indicated by a contrast-colored band across the side of the capacitor that marks "-" wire side. I have seen incorrect markings on circuit board sometimes, so it's best to look at how original cap is mounted & put in replacement the same way.

There is no problem if you replace it with an 25v cap... but check in for correct polarities before you replace it else it might again blow up.

Regards,
Santosh Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.