Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find out the resonant frequency of the Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarthikshines

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all please say me the procedure to find a resonance frequency of the coil practically?

A coil can resonate at a particular frequency only in combination with a capacitor. The capacitor can be the coil's own capacitance, but somehow I don't think that's what you mean. Please tell us some more about what you mean, what you want to do and why you want to know. Then we can give you directions.

A coil can resonate at a particular frequency only in combination with a capacitor. The capacitor can be the coil's own capacitance, but somehow I don't think that's what you mean. Please tell us some more about what you mean, what you want to do and why you want to know. Then we can give you directions.[/QUOTam working under linear displacement sensor.. so i need to know the resonance frequency of the coil for the temperature compensation..

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Is there any procedure to find a resonance frequency of the coil in a practical way??

Is there any procedure to find a resonance frequency of the coil in a practical way??

Stimulate the coil from an adjustable sinus generator -- e.g. via a 50Ω resistor, sweep the frequency (with constant ac voltage) over the range where you estimate/expect your resonance frequency, and measure the ac voltage over the coil. At the resonance frequency you should get a voltage maximum.

Connect your coil via a VERY small capacitor, say 2PF to the signal generator high output and a high impedance RF voltmeter. Connecting directly via a 50 ohm source will damp the Q so much that you won't see any peak at resonance. Repeat the experiment using a 5 PF capacitor. This should give you a different(lower) frequency. As the self capacity of any coil worth wind is going to be lower then 20 PF, just dangling leads around it will totally the stray capacity of the coil. Now you have two equations, two frequencies, one coil, two capacities, Cs in series with 2 PF all in parallel with Cl and CS in series with 5 PF all in parallel with Cl.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.