Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL Concurrent Output Signals Assignments - Issues Seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryt

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a tic-tac-toe design project.

The project mandates for when the game ends in a tie (draw) that we use the same two LEDs we would light for if the player won or the machine won. The player output green LED would light only if it won and the machine red LED would light only if it won. If there is a tie both the win player and machine LEDs should light.

The problem I see in my code is that the WDR LED stays "U" even after I reset the WDR signal = '0' in the reset sequence. The WDG signal gets set to '0 in the reset process without any issues but the WDR signal stays as undefined. [Where WDG = the win/draw output LED for the player and WDR = the win/draw LED for the machine].

Here are my concurrent statements that are placed withing the arhitecture but outside of any processes.

WDG <= sWDG or ((sG1 or sR1) and (sG2 or sR2) and (sG3 or sR3) and (sG4 or sR4) and (sG5 or sR5) and (sG6 or sR6) and (sG7 or sR7) and (sG8 or sR8) and (sG9 or sR9) and (not sWDG) and (not sWDR))

WDR <= sWR or ((sG1 or sR1) and (sG2 or sR2) and (sG3 or sR3) and (sG4 or sR4) and (sG5 or sR5) and (sG6 or sR6) and (sG7 or sR7) and (sG8 or sR8) and (sG9 or sR9) and (not sWDG) and (not sWDR))

where:
sWDG = signal for when the player wins
sG1-sG9 = signals for the output LEDs that represent the squares on the tic tac toe board (each square can either be a green LED (meaning the player took that square) and red LED (meaning the machine took that square)

Any suggestions why the WDR signal stays "U" (undefined)? Thanks for everyones help!!

At the sake of pointing out the obvious, do you have a testbench driving those signals? Undefined generally means nothing is driving the signal.

Reactions: jerryt

jerryt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back