Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How good is Intel original inbuilt 32MB video memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balaji280283

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Intel original

The Intel original seems to have an inbuilt 32 MB video memory. But it doesnt support AGP card. So how do u think this one would fair for intensive video processing or gaming... is that 32 MB good enuf....

Re: Intel original

u could always do an upgrade. 32MB is very basic in front of the standards of today.

have u opened the CPU case yet? can u see an AGP slot? or something like that?

Intel makes various boards to suit customer requirements as per their budget. I have seen some Intel make boards which have both built-in AGP with programmable video memory from 32MB to 128MB as well as a facility to support an external AGP Card by disabling the built-in AGP for intensive video processing or gaming. They are easily available in market. Why don't you look into it.

Intel original

yeah... i think i'll have to go and look for those.. thanks

Intel original

Here is a question :

On board AGP has shared video memory from RAM. Now, displaying video is a very memory intensive thing, speciall at higher resolutions/udate rate/bit depth. So, the actual RAM bandwidth get used in Video! This will affect the overall performance of the machine.

Or they use some other technique to maintain system performance?

well that depends on the motherboard and the manufacturer. some motherboards come with onboard graphics that have separate memory for the graphics (4MB or something like that)

it used to happen on really old systems that the BIOS lets u allocate a portion of the main memory for graphics. now that was not that efficient. and the games we use today wont work that way.

it is better to use an external AGP if u really need it. im still happy with the onboard graphics of my motherboard (D815EEA2) with 4MB of internal memory and 32MB of GPA expansion memory. thats because i dont play games (i dont have the time to play games :D )

so it all depends on u. maybe onboard graphics is enough for u and maybe it isnt. u should decide it yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.