Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High gain antennas vs repeater (indoor wlan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiaco

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there, just wanted some opinions or maybe experience share,about indoor wlan coverage.Example: 100 mtrs coverage with no more than 1 concrete wall inbetween. Should i go for a couple of 12 dbi patch arrays or just put some repeaters on the way ?

ps: the new emotions rock ! :wink:

There are several tradeoffs. If this is a point to point system, the antenna angle coverage is of no consequence. A disadvantage of the repeater system is the power drawn and the increased activity on the channel which will reduce the total traffic from end to end. The advantage of the repeaters is that they may possibly have the additional function of local access points which will increase the system geographic coverage.

Flatulent thanks for your answer, basicaly if i dont need more users than both ends of the link, i should go for the high gain antennas rather than repeaters ?

thanks ! :wink:

Yes. The antennas are cheaper and more convenient. They also have narrow beamwidths which will reduce interference from other networks in adjacent buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back