Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How far can a polarized tantalum cap be used in reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgsabel

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Reversing tantalum caps

Is there any rule on how far a polarized tantalum cap can be used in reverse?

I have a case where it may need to work in reverse, but only up to the tens of mV. Maybe a worst-case pulse of 100mV, which would be an extremely rare occurance only lasting a couple of seconds.

I know a nonpolarized cap would be the first choice. I'm looking at this possibility since I might need a rather high capacitance and low leakage component for this app.

Reversing tantalum caps

I don't know if there's a general rule, but Kemet's "application note for tantalum capacitors" says you can apply momentary reverse voltage up to 15% depending on temperature. See section 11:
http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/vapubfilesname/F3100ETaLdPerChar.PDF/$file/F3100ETaLdPerChar.PDF

We all know what happens if you apply too much reverse voltage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back