Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Firmware uploading in an ethernet device

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering what methods do companies use to upload firmware in thier ethernet product for the first time during production. For example, I have a network storage device whose firmware got corrupted while upgrading to a new firmware release. Now I cannot access its built-in web page and hence cannot upload the upgrade.

There is some kind of internal connector (JTAG or some other ICP) for inital flashing, but I don't think you can use that. Is there any other way to connect to that device (USB, serial ...) ? What device is that?

meax98

It is L1nksys N s l u 2 - network storage link. It runs Linux and Samba server. It does have a serial port pin pads on the PCB though there are no connector soldered. I can solder a connector and put an RS-232 level convertor chip to connect it to Serial Port of PC. But what to do after that. I dont know.

I usually make this for my designs, as well as other embedded systems designers. I insert a debugging/service port onboard, which uses a custom protocol, and the application which uses that port is not distributed to users, it is only for service staff. So if you cannot obtain from the manufacturer the application designed to interface with that port, I am afraid your chances to do something with that port are really low. Another chance would be to extract the internal flash device and flash it with the content of an identical but working device (or with a binary file if you have it), using a programmer. This method works in most cases. Your bad luck would be a flash memory in a BGA package.....

/pisoiu

Yes, this what pisoiu says is right. I did this twice with some SCSI cards (bad flashed firmware).Flash was in PLCC package, btw. But it was easy to obtain firmware for this card. Can you find similar working device? Maybe you can find .bin files on internet? This two ideas should work.
About serial port: even if you solder connector and converter chip, I don't think that firmware contains driver for serial communication. So, let's find working device or .bin files.

regards

meax98

Our products have a flash memory connected to a microprocessor or DSP. The microprocessor/DSP has JTAG. After assembly, the flash is blank, so the board is deaf and dumb. I wrote a Windows program that uses JTAG to wiggle the microprocessor/DSP pins, causing it to write a small bootstrap loader into flash. When I reset the board, the bootstrap loader runs and downloads the big firmware through some other port.

I have not tried this product, but it looks helpful:
**broken link removed**

Look this:
**broken link removed**

Our solution is runing a mini program at first. Then the mini program download the core file to RAM through ethernet port. At last, the program write the core file to the flash on the PCB board.

Hello
There are various ways by which firmware could be programmed
As per discussions going on here,
1) Flash
2) JTAG
3) External Host some time
4) Ethernet port
5) Rapid IO
etc
but you need which way the programm is

3)

Status