Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microprocessor covered with black coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice_1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I opened my calculator to check it from inside, just a matter of curiosity, :-D
and I found out that the microprocessor is covered with a black layer:shock:... is it for protection or other purposes? Please can you explain to me why covering the microprocessor with the black material? and what is it made of? Look at the attached photo.
Thank you.

Novice :)

It is probably not a microprocessor, but a custom IC. It is "chip on board" i.e. the silicon is put directly onto the PCB and globbed with some epoxy to protect it and the bond wires.

Keith.

Thank you Keith :)

what is the benefit of mounting the silicon die on the board directly?? is is a matter of cost? speed? performance?

Nonice

If you bond the die right to the board, you don't have to pay for packaging the die, which is a significant part of the total cost.

So far as the issue of black (that too opaque) goes, a bare chip exposed to radiations of all sorts is never advisable and is never seen except for EPROM's where it is intentionally left a transparent quartz window for erasing. The effect of radiation under different conditions is known.

Status
Not open for further replies.