Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C-mode supression in 100 MHZ 5 OT SC-cut OCXO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Drew

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing 100 MHz OCXO using 5 OT SC-cut quartz crystall. Such crystalls have B-mode 3 dB greater than C-mode.
How to supress it using external components? I need working schematic with equations for elements.

Many people (myself included) use a Colpitts-type resonant circuit with a series LC (resonant slightly below the desired oscillation) in series with the emitter of the oscillator transistor to suppress the B-mode oscillation. The advantage of this and related methods is that it doesn't need to add significant loss. I find this specific arrangement convenient at 100-MHz because it doesn't require too large a value of inductor.
As this merely acts as a modification to the transistor transconductance you can readily generate schematic and negative impedance equations - which wlll also save my mistypes and your transcriptions.
However, the limited range of inductors available means that SPICE AC simulations of the negative resistance may be simpler and (at least for me) serves as a protection against careless errors. This also allows you to include the inductor parasitics without too much trouble (you can find details on manufacturers' websites (e.g. Coilcraft)). As this inductor is active at the resonant frequency, you may wish both to use an air-cored (or ceramic dielectric) type and also to constrain its value. This is likely to mean that the inductor does not provide useful suppression of fundamental and third overtone resonances. These may be suppressed separately using an inductor in parallel with the larger of the Colpitts capacitors that provides a resonance slightly above the third overtone; this inductor is therefore somewhat less critical, which should allow you to use a ferrite core to achieve the required value. (For general readers: yes, we also need to provide additional DC blocking and conductive paths)
P.S. re 3-overtone and fundamental suppression: depending on component availability and quality... it may be advantageous to split the Colpitts capacitor into two series elements and resonate one of these - but there are limits unless you are prepared to filter the fundamental and the overtone separately.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back