Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS232 USB Converter & RS232 RFID Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linspire

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I used RS232 USB converter directly connected to my RFID reader.
How come it doest show any output from my hyperterminal ?

I have connected to pin2&pin3 to either RX/TX from RFID reader.

Regards
Linspire

Correct configuration of baud rate, parity and start/stop bits?

If so test on proper serial port.

First isolate the problem by running a loopback test of the RS-232/USB converter only, by shorting pins 2 & 3.

Any character typed in Hyperterminal should echo back at any BAUD rate, parity, flow control, etc, settings.

Reference the Loopback guides below for further details:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If your RS-232/USB Converter appears to function correctly. The issue is most likely the default settings of the RFID Reader. Also check for software or hardware flow control.

BigDog

First isolate the problem by running a loopback test of the RS-232/USB converter only, by shorting pins 2 & 3.

Any character typed in Hyperterminal should echo back at any BAUD rate, parity, flow control, etc, settings.

Reference the Loopback guides below for further details:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If your RS-232/USB Converter appears to function correctly. The issue is most likely the default settings of the RFID Reader. Also check for software or hardware flow control.

BigDog

Welcome back BigDog.
I have tested loop test, it's working fine.
I think maybe jumper wire problem...I only managed to get working last two hours ago.
Any good idea how to make good jumper with proper "socket" so that I can interface with my PIC and to this USB RS-232 for future use.

Regards
Linspire

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Guys,
I have sucessfully solved it.
However,I want to ask, the TX pin from RFID 232 should connect to RX of PIC16F887 right ?

Regards
Linspire

However,I want to ask, the TX pin from RFID 232 should connect to RX of PIC16F887 right ?

Not directly you need a RS-232 transceiver like a Maxim MAX232 to translate RS-232 levels to TTL. However, you are correct in that the general flow is TX pin from device to RX pin of PIC.

As far as the socket, what type of connection exists on the RFID Reader?

BigDog

I have made customized circuit (let called "A") with same as MAX232 by using diode , transistor (NPN), and resistor.
I have tested by connect the TX from RFID reader to RS-232 from output of A , the hyper terminal managed get correct output with voltage output around 3.3V.

However, I have written the uart_write(), whereby I connect the TX from RC6 (PIC16F887), it doesnt show result at all in hyper terminal.

Regards
Linspire

Attempt to implement a MAX232 device rather than custom transceiver as suggested in other thread.

BigDog

Hi, our rfid reader MR780, the interface is USB(build-in CP2102 USB to UART converter), in the board, there is a CP2102 chip. So the outside is USB interface, but the inside is UART(RS232C level).

Do you have any questions? Any need of assistance?

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.