Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modem has a usb and lan connector >what is that usb port ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thannara123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts ,
I have an iball ADSL+Router modem which have two output port one a LAN (Rj45) and other is a USB port .what is the need of that USB ?
Can i use to connect to internet through the USB while the LAN is using ?
please explain
Thanking you

Usually one can only use either the LAN or USB connection. The USB connection is made available in case the user's computer doesn't have a network card.

You have to install drivers of the device from the included CD or any other media.
But LAN connection is faster as compared to USB.

Use the LAN connector, no need for drivers so it uses less resources and is also faster.
I also don't think you can use both USB and LAN at the same time, you can use one or the other.

Alex

how can i use usb
Read the users manual. The USB port is at least intended for configuration. The manual doesn't explicitely mention, that the USB port provides a network connection. I guess, the most simple way is to install the USB driver and check, if it shows up as a network interface. Some points in the users manual suggests, that it should be possible, also simultaneous with LAN, see the VLAN paragraph.

thannara123 , bsnl modem ? , Buy a lan card , costs only about 300rs , faster than usb method

thanks for all
But i working with desktop (connecting LAN) while using laptop through usb
Now every thing is okay .
i downloaded the usb driver and installed working fine now.

thannara123 , if the modem supports Wifi then u can connect to internet from laptop with Wifi

there are routers that have a USB port used for printer sharing. i don't know exactly about ADSL modems. but if the manual does not say anything about a printer, it should be secondary internet output.

thanks for all
But i working with desktop (connecting LAN) while using laptop through usb
Now every thing is okay .
i downloaded the usb driver and installed working fine now.
That is great, enjoy. Only USB port needs drivers be installed, otherwise modem on LAN port is (normally) detected by the OS and installed the driver itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.