Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sampling Rate vs Scope Bandwidth, Real-time sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahfouz1991

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have got a question regarding the oscilliscope measurments area. Basically, I am confused between the sample rate & the Bandwidth of the oscilliscope itself? I know that a sampling rate greater than 4 times the bandwidth of the scope is unecessary. What is the relationship/difference between sampling rate and Scope bandwidth?

I also would like to know if this statement is valid or not ? "In real-time sampling, the highest resolution is the inverse of the sample rate" If it is true, how is that possible.

Thank you so much in Advance.

Kind Regards,

Mahmoud

Bandwidth is also related to the analog front-end of the scope; just because your sample rate is 4GHz, doesn't mean the scope has amplifiers with 2GHz BW.

Consider a 1 GHz BW /4 GS/s oscilloscope, and a single shot recording of a step function. What will be the time resolution? Obviously, when the low-pass filtered (by the input amplifier BW) signal edge is sampled, position will be translated in voltage for the samples representing intermediate values. At the end, amplifier and quantizing noise as well as time base jitter will determine the resolution, not primarly the sample rate.

In some systems, there are multimple A/D´s sampling circuits, and at each one, the phase acquisition is equally shifted in time domain.
In that cases, the maximum bandwidth is the rated to the characterized by each circuit.

This way, it is possible to obtain a sampling rate greater than intrinsic circuit bandwidth.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.