Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identification of SMD Coil / Inductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorilla1969

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight as to what component I need to replace a broken part. I have very little electrical experience but do work in company which has technicians who are able to soldering components.

I have a hand-held controller which contains a rechargable battery pack, a lcd, and a circuit board with a cord what can connect or disconnect from a medical TENS unit. One day it stopped working and I noticed a rattling sound inside the controller. After removing the case, I noticed a coil had broken off the pcb. I've called the manufacturer of the device but they have been of little assistance.

If I give specifics on the part, I was hoping somebody might be able to help make a part recommendation (hopefully). The following link shows a very similar component (this is not the actual component as it was damaged): https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/90_1314986619.jpg

The markings on the actual coil are not legible. However, the copper wire is .002" in diameter and, once unravelled, is about 7.5 feet in length end-to-end. The inner core diameter is .080". The height of the inner core where the winding is located (not total height of the part) is .080" as well. The diameter of the top and bottom of the coil (the very ends) is .156".

If you need more information, please let me know.

Given the above, can basic specifications be calculated for this part? Could somebody make a best guess regarding a replacement part which I could purchase?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

If that is 331 then it is probably 330uH. It is 4mm across so 100mA or less. I am having trouble getting Farnell's web site to work properly on my mobile but using that data should get you close to the right part.

Keith

The picture attached was a very similar component but not the actual component. I just wanted to give you guys a visual of the type of part needed. The actual part cracked after removal and is in two pieces with the wire completely loose. The markings on the part are not legible.

I was hoping somebody on the forum would have an idea of how to estimate the component specs / values given the thickness of the wire and the number of winds (calculated from the length of the wire and size / dimensionals of the area where the winding is located).

Is this hopeless or is there a way to provide a good 'guesstimate' of the coil specs?
Thanks.

The length of wire doesn't help much without knowing the ferrite characteristics. The markings would give the value. From that and the dimensions you should be able to find something close enough to work. Without the markings I don't really know how you can find out what its value was. If it wasn't damaged then you could obviously measure it.

Keith.

If the ferrite cracked you may be able to use a thin glue to stick it back together. Then wind the wire back on and measure the inductor. The value will be a little low but should be close if you have done it well. There is a big air gap so adding a little glue gap won't make much difference. If it is strong enough you might even use it glued together. It is more important how many turns of wire there is than how long the wire is. Wind the wire carefully so you get it all back on.

It's very difficult to read but if I was to guess the marking, it'd be 152 (or possibly 192). Is this helpful?

152 would likely be 1500 uH, a fairly standard value. 192 would be 1900uH, a rather odd and unlikely value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back