Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Routing a 10 layers PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarmak

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to design a 10 layers stack up PCB.

How should I pair the layers? How many layer can be connected by vias?

The through hole via is allowed to connect all inner layers?

My manufacturer told me they can have a maximum of 3 cores, how this affect my layer connecting decision?

Thank you!
Rafael

I don't think with 3 cores you can make 10 layers.

The basic via option is connecting all layers. According to the achievable aspect ratio, it's restricted to minimal finished hole diameters of 0.2 to 0.3 mm for 1.6 mm boards. As long as you don't intend burried or blind vias, no specific core arrangement would be required. The standard stackup for 10 layer is simply laminating 4 double sided FR4 substrates (cores) and adds the outer layers. It doesn't involve sequential lamination and thus achieves least costs.

To avoid misunderstandings, you should ask which 10 layer stackups can be realized by your manufacturers and which design rules apply.

Do you have any requirements for burried or blind vias?

Fvm, is it common to make a 10 layer board only with TH vias? Thanks!

I consider in such ways:

1) TH via is cheaper than blind or buried vias, use it throughout the board provided sufficient routing space.

2) Signal integrity issues for eg, inner layer stub caused by TH via. Blind or buried vias does not have stub to cause impedance discontinuity. This can also be achieved by back-drilling TH via which involved sophisticated and high precision drilling tool.

If you are not experienced at laying out multilayer boards, you are better of using through vias only. And even if you are experienced only use blind and burried vias if, and only IF you have to. I avoid blind and burried vias if I can, I am currently playing with HDI (High Density Interconnect) so I am using micro vias, so I have blind, burried microvias and burried standard vias, as well as normal vias!!!! Its driving me mad as I have 8 layer pairs to map all the various layer spans. Not for the faint hearted.

Hello
There are 2 types of constructions to make a basic 10 layer board with TH. There is a foil construction that uses CU foils as layer 1 and layer 10. There is also a core cap consturction that does not use CU foils but uses cores. I have attached some sampled stack ups for you to take a look at. You can not make a 10 layer board with only 3 cores. The max layer count you can achieve with that would be a 8 layer PCB. View attachment Core cap construction.pdfView attachment Foil construction.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back