Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for debug problems using Assembly for Mplab

Status
Not open for further replies.

white_shadow

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Mplab questions

I'm new to Pic'n (and MCU's), since the start of summer. I found that I needed to get acquainted with assembly. I began reading up on assembly and there are a few tasks (in the book) to do with Debug in assembly. I tried WinXP's debug, but only ran into a wall.

Then I installed MPLab, thinking I could use its debug. So I'm stuck. I need to run some simple debug problems using assembly.

Mplab questions

You can use the software simulator which is integrated into MPLAB. First write a simple program, of course it must be consists no error to let the compiler compile it. Then choose MPLAB SIM as you debugger, and start execute you program line by line. Open up the watch window and drag & drop some variable into it.

Re: Mplab questions

I'm following Assembly Language Step by step, by Duntemann. Its an old book that uses a DOS based Debug. Where you can do and see single instructions from a command line. So there is no complied code, just single operations to see how they work. I'll try to write a simpel program and use MPlab sim, but I'm probably on more basic level.

Re: Mplab questions

Go here **broken link removed**

Read the document "MPLAB® IDE v6.xx Quick Start ", there should be some example there. Copy & paste it into a new asm file and you could start playing with MPSIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.