Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get a modified sqare wave with 555 timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ful24

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone
i am building a simple DC-AC inverter for my school project, i am stucked at how to use a 555 timer to generate control signals to control two MOSFET, which will output ON/OFF/OFF to one MOSFET and OFF/OFF/ON to the other MOSFET, is there a simple logic circuit to do the job? ideas?
thanks

hi everyone
i am building a simple DC-AC inverter for my school project, i am stucked at how to use a 555 timer to generate control signals to control two MOSFET, which will output ON/OFF/OFF to one MOSFET and OFF/OFF/ON to the other MOSFET, is there a simple logic circuit to do the job? ideas?
thanks

Generate A Square Wave 1/3 Duty Cycle 1 - 0 - 0

and it's 180 phase shifted version(not gate ) is 0 -1 -1 ..

Astable Multivibrator could be used .

03452x02.png

Flip-flop circuits : Worksheet

Reactions: ful24

ful24

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks mister_rf, thats exactly what im after.

quick question, isnt the discharge supposed to connect between the resistor? ( left side fo the diagram). to make the 555 astable.
thanks

Yes, usually it’s better to use a resistor in between the capacitor and the discharge pin, in order to limit the maximum current flow through the internal transistor, but here as the 555 circuit need to fire only short pulses using smaller capacitor values you can skip this resistor. :-D
**broken link removed**

Reactions: ful24

ful24

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
aah, thats why! thanks for the quick reply.

there is a problem when i breadboard this circuit. there is a delay between the output of the comparator and the flipflop, which results the output of the ANDs are NOT what it suppose to be. is there any way to combat this problem?

Can you give more details on the timing diagram? :)

03452x04.png

yes, i didnt save the waveform from the scope, ill do it tomorrow, and it is the Vcomp and Q&notQ out of phase, result the first & second transistor have different waveform form the graph above. ill try to describ it here and ill get the scope waveform later. the actual waveform i got is:
time 0 30 60 90 120 150 180 210 240 270 300 330 360
1st transistor on on off off on on off off off off off off off
2ns transistor off off off off off off off on on off off on on

ill get it in graph soon.

Can you attach also the diagram with components types/value used for?

tek00000.pngtek00001.png

the first graph is the output of transistor 1 and 2.
the second graph is the inputs of the AND gate.

What about some graph for the ‘555’ output and Comparator output?
What components are you using for? Any details?

ill upload the details asap. sorry about the inconvenience.

ok, i used 555timer; 4027(dual J-K flip-flop); LM339(Quad voltage comparator); 4081(Quad 2-input AND gate). circuit is same as the circuit above, resistors and capacitors are used to get a 50Hz and 50% duty cycle. and i didnt terminate any unused pins. i asked the tutor he said its the delay of the 555timer and flip-flop. that caused the phase shift between flip-flop output and comparator output.

i asked the tutor he said its the delay of the 555timer and flip-flop. that caused the phase shift between flip-flop output and comparator output.
Doesn't sound reasonable. 4027 and 555 have delays in < 1us range, even the comparator response time is much faster than the delays viewn in your waveform. The circuit must be different from the above suggestion somehow. I would expect a small delay of the comparator output, it may be necessary to apply a correction (e.g. 555 discharge resistor) to avoid a very short pulse at the ramp start.

It’s very important to have all graphs placed on a new diagram before start to compare timings.

thanks for the reply gusy, sorry about not posting enough information, i have been very busy attending lectures and breadboarding in the lab, havnt got much time to get on a computer. im going to re-connect the circuit and try different component values. i agree with FvM, ill try to post the circuit diagram asap. (can only view the diagram at school)

problem solved, the delay i had before was caused by the resistor i placed between "discharge" and "threshold". i re-do the whole circuit again without that resistor, and there is no deplay at all, or acceptable delay.
anyway, thanks all for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back