Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

portable heart monitor interfaced with a GPS and a GSM module

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasoma

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hullo guys
This is Joshua. first I appreciate the people who started this forum .It is a source of solutions to all the questions about elctronics projects.
I want to design a hardware and software for a GPS enabled portable heart monitor interfaced with a GSM module. The GPS and heart monitor are supposed to send their signals to the GSM module which sends them to a doctor in hospital. Please guide me on how to interface the three modules: GPS, GSM , and heart monitor. How can I integrate them on the same PCB(Printed Circiut Board). Please guide me on which microprocessors , chips , protocols I can use. I look forward to your reply.

I really need your help b'se I am working on a final year project
Thank you

a portable heart monitor interfaced with GPS and GSM

Hullo
I am still waiting for replys please. If you have an idea please inform me . you may send it to this mail.

I have no direct experience with any of the systems you mention.
Just to be helpful here are some clarifying questions...

Will the device be plugged into a patient continually? It will need to be compact.

Or will the patient plug the device into an existing embedded heart monitor/pacemaker? Can you be sure the patient will be in a condition to do this during a crisis?

Will it be battery powered? What type of batteries? How will you ensure they're kept charged?

What will trigger making a call to the hospital? Will the patient have to press buttons, dial a central number, etc.? Or will your device automatically be able to detect unusual heartbeat signals?

Which heart data do you intend to transmit? Numbers only (rate, strength, regularity, etc.), or a continuous analog signal of the heart beating?

Are you knowledgeable as to how to intercept data coming from a manufactured GPS device? Or do you intend to build your own?

Are you able to rework the GPS data in order to send it to the hospital in form they can read?

Does the hospital have an existing receiving system with which your device needs to be compatible?

Will data be conveyed as audio tones (dual-tone multi-frequency signaling, aka Touch-Tone)? If so then you can build your prototype around a cellphone.

Will the hospital send back any signal? To acknowledge data received? To transmit instructions for the patient? Etc.

How frequently do you intend to transmit patient's location? Every ten seconds? Sixty seconds? Presumably you are able to program the device to send GPS data alternating with heart data (or heartbeat signals).

To do this all on one board, one will need to be accomplished in a number of fields, including:

* radio transmission and reception

* cell communications

* medical-related logistics

* data acquisition and transmission

* Battery maintenance

Etc.

Hi, I'm not sure what your experience is with embedded design. And the preference you have with microcontrollers. I would recommend a low power device if the unit is running of batteries. A controller with minimuim 2 usarts. On the heart monitor side I'm not sure. Use google to reach a bit.

MN

Hullo

The device will be pluged into the patient directly. it will be powered by rechargeable batteries.

A call will only be made to the hospital when the heart rate exceeds 120beats/sec and goes below 72beats/sec

the heart data to be transmitted is numbers indicating the heart beat rate.

I intend to build my own data. I am don't know how to intercept data from manufactured GPS devices but I w'd love to use it.

in my opinion the GPS data has to be processed by a signal processor(eg FPGA) which converts it to readable form.

The hospital should have a GSM modem connected to a computer to receive the data.

The hospital should not send any feedback and no data will be sent as audio.

The GPS data will be sent alternating with heart data in intervals of ten seconds.

Thank you very much. if you get any more ideas I still welcome them.

Hi, I don't think it will be necessary for a fpga. The GPS uses a serial interface that can be configures as NUMEA output. This is basically longitude and latitude as we'll as speed. The GSM also uses a serial interface. So a micro controller will do the job. What controller are you intending on using? And what language will u use?

MN

Reactions: kasoma

kasoma

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi maurius
thank you for the assistance.I intend to use the 8051 microprocessor and I am not decided on language may be C++ will do. Please if you have a better idea inform me

Hi, I'm not familiar with the 8051. But I'm sure it will do the job. To use C/C++ will work. Let me know if you have any questions.

MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back