Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between regular and IO mosfet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanvv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I'm designing a low requirement (in both speed and accuracy) switched cap circuit and comparator for something like 45nm, should I use 1V transistors or the 3.3V IO ones? Power consumption isn't important, but area is. If I have a 5u/0.5u transistor, which will have better characteristics? My guess is that the 3.3V ones will be better for analog, especially from the increased headroom, but is the only downside that it's slower?

edit: I compared gpdk045's nmos1 and nmos2, which are 1.1V and 1.8V. Surprisingly, the 1.1V transistor had a better gm*ro, but the 1.8V transistor had double the ro. This is with a fixed Vgs = 0.5V for both of them, while Vds was scaled for each of them to 1.1V and 1.8V. W/L = 5u/0.5u. https://i.imgur.com/HCvmR.png

Last edited:

Yes, 3.3V transistor is slower. However, usually 3.3v transistor is used for I/O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back