Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GaN VHF Broadband Power Amlifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew77

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
GaN VHF Broadband Power Amplifier

I'm designing a 20-500 MHz power amplifier (100W)with GaN technology @ 28V Vdrain. I'm not sure if using 2 transistor in a push-pull configuration or using 1 transistor and microstrip, considering that GaN has a higher in-out impedances than LDmos. I'm thinking of using CREE or Nitronex devices,
any suggestion?
Thanks
Andrea

Well, good luck. These devices do have very low output impedances, so building a transformer over that bandwidth will be challenging.

Maybe you could do something unique and combine the output impedances in series somehow with a stackup. Lets say one device has 5 ohms output impedance. If you could design a structure to connect 5 of those outputs in series, you would have a 25 ohm impedance to match to the 50 ohm output. At these lower frequencies, maybe it could be done.

Hello Biff44,
you say: "combine the output impedances in series....If you could design a structure to connect 5 of those outputs in series..." how it could be possible? The final stage must not have more than two transistors otherwise I buy the amplifier

Hello Andrew77,
For this kind application, in NXP website there is a 120W application note with BLF645 from 10mhz to 600mhz, maybe you can take it as reference.
**broken link removed**

if i wanna use the 145 MHz frequency
What do I need to set??
please help me
Regard:
_haryo_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back