Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting balanced LO input to balanced PLL output

Status
Not open for further replies.

richas

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
This is a newbie question I suppose. I am clocking the LO of a receiver IC with an external PLL clock generator. Both the LO input and PLL output are balanced. Can I connect the directly with decoupling capacitors?

I understand the use of a balun to convert from balanced to unbalanced but is it also used to connect balanced ports?

Thank

Rich

Re: Balanced to Balanced

If inputs and outputs are both true differential drive and have compatible common mode voltage range you may not even require coupling caps.

Sometimes the outputs require D.C. supplies so a centertapped transformer is used, or two coils and coupling caps, to feed D.C. to open drain or open collector outputs.

Reactions: richas

richas

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Here is the input circuit from an evaluation board for this receiver, it is what I find confusing. It appears to accept a balanced LO signal and run it through a 50:50 balun to a balance input. I am not sure why.

Thanks again.

Rich

rx_input.JPG

Here is the input circuit from an evaluation board for this receiver, it is what I find confusing. It appears to accept a balanced LO signal and run it through a 50:50 balun to a balance input. I am not sure why.

Thanks again.

Rich

View attachment 58151

It's not a balanced input, unbalanced input to drive your circuit externally.
Signal generators supply generally unbalanced signals and your circuit needs a balanced input clock signal and therefore they have put a balun transformer between balanced pins and clock input.
And some matching circuit...

The circuit appears to be an application test fixture board that allows a single ended input (through coax connector symbol) or balanced input (through two test points). It would not be necessary in your actual circuit if you have a balance LO output drive.

richas

It looks like you can do it, but unless you can find info on both data sheets to say they can be dc connected, I would definately leave in the two series caps c20 and c24. You can throw away that transformer mess.

richas

...the transformer and C19...

That makes sense. Because it is a schematic from a development board there is a lot of extra circuitry there to confuse this newbie.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back