Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging/Discharging Time in Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

satheeshvelu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone,

I'm evaluating an LDO.
Vin=5V
Vout=3.3V

According to my evaluation, Vin discharge timing faster than Vout, will there be any effect due to this?

Please refer to the attached.

Thanks,
Satheesh

Attachments

• Voltage_Reg.jpg
    Voltage_Reg.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 113

If your output transistor is a MOSFET, its parasitic anti-parallel diode will take care of a max. inverse in-out voltage difference of about 1V . In case of a BJT, a small inverse in-out voltage difference (a few volts) won't matter.

If your output transistor is a MOSFET, its parasitic anti-parallel diode will take care of a max. inverse in-out voltage difference of about 1V . In case of a BJT, a small inverse in-out voltage difference (a few volts) won't matter.

I read somewhere that if input will become less than output, a reverse current may flow in opposite direction which may lead to damage the LDO.
For this particular applicatino a small reverse current may flow for short time and LDO could sustain for that, but still I am not sure.

Thanks all for your answers.
It was very useful.

Hi Everyone,

Is there any way to calculate the reverse current and howto determine that it's safe?

Thanks,
Satheesh

maybe output capacitor ≥ Input capacitor .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back