Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayowazzup

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does response time of a comparator in the datasheet means the time it takes the output to see the change of the input? and the slew rate is the time for the output to change its state?

if i am correct about the response time, is there a way to improve it?

thank you

I think you are correct about the response time, and the slew rate is the rate of change in voltage with respect to time (dv/dt). You can probably improve the response time by increasing the gain of the comparator. Are you constructing your own comparator or are you using an off-the-shelf comparator?

Yes, i am using a LM339 comparator, will it help if I increase the closed loop gain (positive feedback) ?

For what purpose are you using the comparator? In order to use the LM339 as a voltage comparator, there should be no closed loop circuit.

Hi, I would like to use it as a schmitt trigger.

i read it through but it doesn't tell anything about the response time.

If you use IC, the only way to improve speed is reduce the capacitance for output and input nodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.