Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simple Morse Code Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fworg64

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey can anyone tell me if this will work as a very simple morse code transmiter?
New Bitmap Image.jpg

Of course if not could someone help me?
And if it does whats the equation for how far ill be able to transmit?
One more thing, how can i recieve it?

Thanks for the help.

You can build a simple morse code transmitter that can be received by a regular AM or FM radio. I seem to remember seeing schematics for these in some of the Forrest Mims books.

It would be helpful to know how far you want to transmit and if you care what kind of parts are in the circuit (tubes, transistors, ICs, etc.). Do you intend to build the receiver or use an off-the-shelf radio?

By the way, you should consider posting this on eham.net in the "homebrew" category.

Last edited:

Fworg

That picture is an intersting application of the simplest broadcast transmitter called Galena. Requires few amount of electronic components. Repair that no intermediate frequency is used.

However this kind of transmitter takes a wide band of RF spectrum and may be considered just for emergency purposes. At normal operation you should work under hiperheterodine topology circuit.
If you intend operate this equipment need perform a survey at your country regulations regarding what are the free use radio frequency spectrum ranges.

Answering your question : The receiver you can build also simply like bellow :

300px-Circuit_diagram_of_a_crystal_radio_receiver.svg.png

+++

Last edited:
So if i build on of these
**broken link removed**
and one of these
83_1305432713.gif

I should have a transmitter and a receiver.

could someone please elaborate how exactly the inductor is connected to the spark gap?

Thank you for your help :grin:

EDIT:: found simpler diagrams

Last edited:

Oh no! I'm just glad North Dakota is a long way from here.

@Fworg64 this is exactly waht Marconi used in the very first 'wireless' broadcast. Spark transmitters are VERY broad band, you don't tune into them as such because they produce a signal which covers the whole band and these days would be regarded as interference. They also don't produce Morse Code in the accepted sense, you will not hear dots and dashes or even a tone, just a clicking noise. You would do far better to look at simple keyed oscillators which you can pick up on a domestic radio. Even a simple single transistor oscillator will have tens, maybe hundreds of times the range and it will produce a continuous signal when the key is held down rather than a single click as it is released.

Brian.

...they produce a signal which covers the whole band and these days would be regarded as interference...

A perfect definition of above circuit : Noise generator !

+++

]IT WORKED AT AROUND 100m RANGE FOR ME. (when coupled with antenna)

Last edited:

The original post is for a radio transmitter, you show an audio oscillator. It may well radiate interference if an antenna is attached but only due to harmnics of the NE555 output.
What is being suggested is a keyed RF oscillator that can be tuned on a normal AM radio.

Brian.

Thanks Brian...:) This was a thing which i tried out sometime back.. u are correct.. this is (for) by using an audio oscillator.. :p Well.. I hope the code info was helpful. Take Care..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.