Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TomTom Go 300 GPS module connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

betwixt

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've just combined parts from two broken Tomtom 'Go 300' units together to make a good one for a friend. He is happy and I'm left with a burned circuit board and a cracked screen, both are scrap.

I do have a good GPS module left over though but no idea what the connections to it are. The module is marked BW2277A Rev.08 and it would be fun to play with. Does anyone have a schematic for it or one for the TomTom 300 so I can work out how to communicate with it?

Brian.

Old post, but in case it is useful to anyone, I've found the following connections to the BW2277A GPS+Bluetooth module from a TomTom Go:

TP23: Power in (3.3V from an ATX PSU works well)
TP9: GND
TP4: Serial output of NMEA sentences at 4800 bps, 8N1 (rather slow speed, but OK for GPS, I guess)

The GPS chipset appears to be a SiRFstar II.

The bluetooth chip may also have a serial connection, but I haven't found it.

Well done!

The owner of the repaired TomTom later broke the cigarette lighter plug and being stranded with no map, they cut the cable and wired it straight to the car battery. They didn't realize it had a 5V regulator inside it! As a result, I now have two of these GPs modules. The second one seems to be completely compatible for GPS purposes but doesn't have the Bluetooth parts fitted and it is labelled 'LR9823'. I'll play with both when I have time.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back