Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] calculate mutual inductance from two close coil from s parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

grit_fire

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
calculate mutual inductance of two close coils from s parameters

Hi, all,

I have two coil inductors placed with one above the other. I managed to obtain the s-parameters s11, s12, s21 and s22 using ADS momentum.

Does anyone know how to calculate the mutual inductance between them using the s-parameters obtained?

Thanks!!

Re: calculate mutual inductance of two close coils from s parameters

First transform the S-parameter to Z-parameter.
Then mutual inductance=imag(Z12)/omega.

First transform the S-parameter to Z-parameter.
Then mutual inductance=imag(Z12)/omega.

Hi, thanks for reply! Now I got it.

Conversion from s parameter to z parameter requires the Zo value, which is the characteristic impedance of transmission line? I am using ADS momentum layout to draw my two inductors. Could you tell me how do I know the Zo value? Or is it just 50ohm no matter what?

Thank you for the help!

The transformation from S-parameter to Z-parameter depends on Z0, you can refer to Tab. 4.2 in Pozar's book -- Microwave engineering.

As for the Z0 used in ADS momentum, it is believed to be 50 ohm which is the default value if you haven't changed that when exporting S-parameter.

Hi, thanks for reply! Now I got it.

Conversion from s parameter to z parameter requires the Zo value, which is the characteristic impedance of transmission line? I am using ADS momentum layout to draw my two inductors. Could you tell me how do I know the Zo value? Or is it just 50ohm no matter what?

Thank you for the help!

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

The transformation from S-parameter to Z-parameter depends on Z0, you can refer to Tab. 4.2 in Pozar's book -- Microwave engineering.

As for the Z0 used in ADS momentum, it is believed to be 50 ohm which is the default value if you haven't changed that when exporting S-parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back