Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

variance of the product of two random variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

serhannn

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I have two RV's X and Y (which are not necessarily independent), what would be the approach to find the variance of their product assuming that I know variances of X and Y, i.e. if Z=XY, what is var(Z)?
I searched on google and found some suggestions, but most of them were based on the assumption that X and Y are independent. What would be a more general solution?

Thanks a lot.

If there exists corelation between X and Y, then finding the variance of Z becomes slightly more complicated due to the requirement of knowing the covariance of X and Y.

Syntax: [] = covariance, <> = variance, "" = Mean, () = Normal Paranthese

<Z> = [XY] . ( [XY] + 2."X"."Y" ) + <X>.<Y> + <X>("Y"^2) + <Y>("X"^2)

Hope it helps.
{Btw, it can be simplified into just 3 terms: <Z> = "XY"^2 + ("XX"."YY") - (2 . ("X"^2) . ("Y"^2)), but as I said you need to take covariance into account. }

If you want to develop considerable knowledge, read functions of random variables from Papoulius book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back