Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between pic16f877 and pic18f452

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjeet.Kathuria

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
Can anyone please explain me the differences between pic16f877 and pic18f452? I am totally confused!!!
Regards,
Sanjeet

read the datasheet of both you will find many differences....
such as flash memory, Ram, Timers, max Oscillator allowed...etc
But both are pin compatible..

does that mean that a program meant to run on 18f452 will run on 16f877 as well? or any changes will be required?

16F877
8192 prg instructions,368 bytes RAM.3 timers,5 A/D channels,14 interrupt sources,35 instructions,private stack,1-level interrupt priority

18F452
16384 prg instructions, 1536 bytes RAM, 4 timers, 8 A/D channels, 18 interrupt sources, 75 instructions, user addressable stack,2-level interrupt priority

thank you..i read that..but i just wanted to know if a c-file for 18f452 will work for 16f877 as well..or will it be required to do any changes?

imaging: pic18f452 is a Hi-fi system and pic16f877 is an ordinary radio cassete. both can play radio but hifi sounds better, has equalizer, surround system and others. if you just want to listen to the news both can offer you the news station. but, if you want to tune to surround system, only hifi can offer you.

conclusion:

PIC18F series has more built in module i.e. PWM, CAN, USB, and others which is not available on PIC16F series. Besides PIC18F series offer larger flash and RAM memory.

if price is no issue op for PIC18F. afterall, both pic16f877 and pic18f452 are pin compatible. meaning, you can simply swap the IC on the same circuit.

note:
1) pic18f452 is obselete and replaced with pic18f4520.
2) no changes needed in c command except the fuses settings, and configuration. go and try first. never try never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.