Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NMOS vs PMOS sleeper transistor in power-gating using MTCMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

z3nger

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
New to the forum, so this may be in the wrong section, my pre-emptive apologies to anyone who may care.

Can someone explain to me why one would prefer one over the other (NMOS vs PMOS) sleeper when power-gating? My initial sentiment is that it depends on the output of the circuit, is this true? If in my steady-state, my pull-up of the circuit is off and pull-down is on, it should be better to use a header (PMOS) over NMOS, right? If not, please explain.

So assuming the input/output states of the circuit dictates the optimal choice of sleeper xtor, without knowing the exact input vectors, how do I go about choosing one over the other? Why do most articles just say to use NMOS simply because it can be sized smaller to achieve the same resistance ..but aren't we massively oversimplifying things?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.