Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] No response for at command CNMI in gsm module

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponnus

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I,m trying to send and receive sms using gsm modem via pic microcontroller. Everything worked well. But when I tried to receive notification using AT+CNMI=1,1,0,0,0, its not giving any response. I've received new messages in sim memory and can be read. But no new sms indications. Can anyone help me?

for new message indication you should use AT+CNMI

and what error it gives for cnmi
use AT+CNMI= 2,2,0,0,0

Thank u, it worked. but not all the time. Also,may I know why the commanda AT+CNMI=1,1,0,0,0 and 0,1,0,0,0 and 1,2,0,0,0 etc. not working. I've looked through the document and didn't find any mistake in using these. Also,I haven't changed it to data mode.
The gsm module gave 'OK' reponse only.

Last edited:

at+cnmi=2,2,0,0,0 is the command used to display the image without storing.
the reason for not working all the time is, your modem setting might change whenever the modem got restarted.

Reactions: ponnus

ponnus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sorry,I didn't get it. My program is running continuously(again and again). But when I get a message, sometimes I get the alert also using at+cnmi=2,2,0,0,0 or 2,1,0,0,0. Also, I tried to stop the program by a while(1); at the end. Then also I'am not getting the result.

The difference between mode 1 and 2 should be only relevant for the message indication behaviour during active data connections. I guess, it's not relevant in your case.

It should be also noted, that some gsm modems on the market are not fully compliant to the specified GSM AT command set, e.g. from Motorola. I remember, that I had to use AT+CNMI=3,1,0,0 with G24.

It should be also noted, that some gsm modems on the market are not fully compliant to the specified GSM AT command set, e.g. from Motorola. I remember, that I had to use AT+CNMI=3,1,0,0 with G24.

true but not with Wavecom modems , motorols used this combination but later withdrew it. as there was no much support with 3,1,0,0 format... In many cases 1,1,0,0 fails to give indication or response, if message are sent from the queue

i got it now. I've put the whole main program in a loop and now it's not getting restarted. It's now giving response to all combinations mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.