Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

timer for led flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalomw

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I want to add a timer circuit to a led flashlight so after I press the 'on' switch it will shut off after a few minutes automatically

1. It has to be small
2. it works on 3 AAA cells possibly nimh so v~1.2*3=3.6V
3. no drainage during the many many hours when the light is off (either main switch off or timer switch off) so i don't drain my batteries

Do you think NE555 is good ?
any other suggestions ?

Thanks

NE555 can be the best option ......because it is very cheap...and you can drive your led by using it as a load in transistor ...ie providing the O/P pin of 555 timer to the base of the transistor and placing the led in the collector....
if u have any question Do not hesitate

Cheers......
For a cheap timer circuit, the 555 is the best option. But the circuit's efficiency will be poor if u designed it for long time delays.
Because, the timer capacitance leakage is the problem. It is better for time delay's up to few minutes. U Should connect the load through a load transistor for better response

Thanks
supposing I only need ~ 50mA current for my LED can I just use the OUT leg to drive it , or do you think I should use a transistor anyway ?

If u want to drive only a LED, u can connect it to the 555 output pin(3)
Actually, it support 200mA of drive current

Status
Not open for further replies.