Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit for LED using 230VAC 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

eemark

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help how to draw the circuit for led using 230vac 60hz

the circuit should applicable for dimmers

if you connect a 1Mohm resistor, the led is protected enough with a high resistor

but sir its ac so how can i make it not blinking

Humans don't perceive a blink rate above ≈40 Hz so it won't appear to blink at 60 Hz.

This may be the schematic you want: AC-LED. Whenever you apply AC to an LED you need to protect it from reverse voltage with a diode in reverse parallel as shown.

This application note on transformerless power supplies may also be of use to you: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00954A.pdf.

Last edited:
Reactions: eemark

eemark

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
if you connect a 1Mohm resistor, the led is protected enough with a high resistor

If you used a 1Mohm resistor to limit the current, then you are going to create serious inefficiencies in the circuit. You will be dissipating a lot of wasted power through that resistor (I^2*R).

An 100 or 120nF X2 rated cap with a series 1000 ohm surge limiting resistor (2W, 500V rated) will limit the current to near 10mA, put the LED in a bridge rectifier, (any 4 diodes with a V>5V and I>50mA will suffice) and this will work fine, for a triac dimmer input, worst case dissipation on the 1000 ohm will be 0.8 watt.
(for 5mA rms in the LED use 68nF X2 and so on...)

Regards, Orson Cart.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.