Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relationship of bit rate and bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyvictor

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am not too sure what is the relationship between bandwidth and bit rate.

Let say in one wireless system/chip, the expecting income signal is 200kbps. The data rate of the chip is 500kBaud, in MSK, and the frequency range is 2400 - 2480MHz.

Can the system/chip transmit the incoming? How much bandwidth am I using? Otherwise, what other information is necessary to answer the above questions please?

Last edited:

Baud rate gives better picture in terms of bandwidth usage, because this factor determine how frequently signal will change at physical layer.

If you can encode data bits in say n bits, that is number of bits transferred per baud, then Bit Rate = Baud Rate * n.

Hope this helps

What Jack//ani said is absolutely correct and to the point but I have a feeling that it wasn't the answer you (luckvictor) were expecting.

To be very brief, luckvictor, you are trying to input a 200kbs signal into a chip of data rate 500KBd. This means your chip is looking at 0.4 bits or samples per symbol/baud. As far as I know, MSK needs atleast 1 sample per symbol, which I assume is what you meant by the n value. Thus, in this case n = 0.4 < 1.

Hope it helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.