Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating THD using MATLABs fft function

Status
Not open for further replies.

specialedster

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a sampled sine wave of a 10kHz signal. It was sampled at 1Msps (1Mhz) so there is 100 samples per period. The total vector is 1024 samples long so its just over 10 periods total.

I have measured the THD of the analog signal using the fft function of a tektronix scope and I know the correct THD to be less than 1%. However, when I try to do this using MATLAB I am not getting the correct results and I expect this is because I am doing it incorrectly. I have pasted my current script below in hopes that somebody would be able to tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance!

%Use fft to find harmonics
harmonics = abs(real(fft(data))).^2;
%Assume the fundamental frequency is the highest
fundamental_bin = min(find(harmonics==max(harmonics)));
fundamental_power = harmonics(power_bin);
%Find the sum of the rest of the harmonics
harmonics_power = sum((harmonics((2:numHarmonics).*fundamental_bin)));
%Calculate THD as a ratio of square roots of powers
THD = 100*sqrt(harmonics_power)/sqrt(fundamental_power);

When I run this script I get a THD of over 8%, which as I explained earlier is far too high. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me an example of someone who has done this correctly?

Hi,
If you have found the correction for this code, can you please provide me with it.....

Thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back