Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better matching: MOS current mirror or bipolar current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo_o2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which one will have better matching if layout area is same for typical BiCMOS process?

9_1298364368.gif

Bjt's have better matching:

from H. Camenzind: "Designing Analog Chips", chap. 1-34 :
"• Bipolar transistors have lower offset voltages. Generally true, but offset voltage depends on size. Make a CMOS transistor larger than a bipolar one (or use trimming) to achieve equally low offset voltage."

from H. Camenzind: "Designing Analog Chips", chap. 4-3 :
"• for equal sizes, MOS transistor have a larger offset voltage (i.e. mismatch) than bipolar ones (about 2:1, but this depends greatly on the process)."

Reactions: leo_o2

leo_o2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks to erikl. I know the offset voltage of bipolar is smaller if they are used as input differential pairs. I have thought it was caused by the I/V equation difference. ΔV is related to logΔI for bipolar. So it leads to smaller ΔVbe for bipolar. Is it correct? What's the reason of lower offset voltage for bipolar? That's why I ask about current mirror.

... I have thought it was caused by the I/V equation difference.
Right!

ΔV is related to logΔI for bipolar. So it leads to smaller ΔVbe for bipolar. Is it correct? What's the reason of lower offset voltage for bipolar?

Yes, correct. The actual reason is current mismatch. Hence the logarithmic Vbe-dependency of BJT's generates lower offset voltage than the square-root dependency of MOSFETs working in strong inversion. For MOSFETs working in weak inversion, the same logarithmic (Vgs) dependency is valid as for BJT's, so their offset behavior should be similar in this case.

That's why I ask about current mirror.

If you just consider current matching, the behavior should be similar for both types of transistor conductivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back