Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] picking nmos switch to opperate at low control voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eanema

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a hall device that operates at 3.0v with a CMOS output. Its data sheet says that its output control voltage can swing from gnd+0.4v to vdd-0.4v, so 0.4v -> 2.6v.

This device is a low power component that will be used to switch on and off the power of the main circuit. See the schematic below.

The problem I am having is finding a suitable NMOS device that can be switched fully on and fully off by the 0.4->2.6v swing. I've been looking at digikey and there doesn't *seem* to have a category for this type of parameter.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

thanks for the input, this device looks promising. The current should be ~<1A.

I am wondering, from reading the data sheet, how can I estimate Ids when Vgs=0.4v? The data sheet provides the info for when Vgs=0

Zero Gate Voltage Drain Current: Vds = 16v, Vgs = 0v => Ids=1 mA

thanks for you help

According to the datasheet the min Gate Threshold Voltage is 0.4v so you may have a small current at that level,
maybe you can try with a diode (or 2 diodes connected in the opposite direction to each other for charge/discharge) to drop the voltage to the gate about 0.6v, this will leave 0v when off and 2.6-0.6=2v when on

Alex

---------- Post added at 02:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

If you use the diode(s) you should also add a resistor from the gate to the gnd to discharge the gate to 0 because one diode will not discharge the gate at all
and if there is a second diode in reverse it will only discharge the gate to about 0.6v.

Alex

Reactions: eanema

eanema

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ah, very nice solution

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.