Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Output Ripple Voltage in Buck Converter for Discontinuous Conduction Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkseid

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All

How do we derive the equation for calculating the Ripple Voltage in Buck Converter for Discontinuous Conduction Mode. I believe we cant use the equation for continuous mode in discontinuous mode also.

If voltage ripple on ESR of output capacitor is neglected, the ripple can be calculated as:
(Ip-Io)/2*(Ip-Io)/Ip*(d1+d2)*Ts/C.
Here, Ip is the inductor peak current, Io is the load current, d1*Ts is the on time of main switch, d2*Ts is inductor current falling time, Ts is the switching period, C is the capacitance of output capacitor.

Last edited:
Thanks Leo. The equation works great. Can you please tell me how to derive this equation (or the source of the equation). I tried deriving the equation by calculating the charge i.e. (area under the inductor ripple current graph considering it as a triangle wave) but I was not getting the right equation for discontinuous mode.

Again thanks for your reply
Darkseid

Tx1/(d1.Ts)=(Ip-Io)/Ip, Tx2/(d2.Ts)=(Ip-Io)/Ip,
ripple=(Ip-Io)/2*(Tx1+Tx2)/C
Then you got it.
44_1297071140.gif

Thanks Leo. Really appreciate it

regards
Darkseid

Status
Not open for further replies.