Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing GSM and RFID with Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesprk

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

My projects demands me to send the rfid data to the server thru gsm module(SIM 300) i.e sms.
1. I unable to send the rfid data to microcontroller
2. How should i go about in sending an sms thru gsm module ?

I am using Arduino dev board, with Atmega8 microcontroller.

what is the RFID type interface... DIGAND or WIGAND interface... Does it give serial putput or what type....
sending sms can be done easily using AT commands..... do you have AT commands pdf for sim300.. if yes try to communicate gsm modem with hyperterminal and same way connect rfid to serial terminal and see what output you get when you swipe the card

Thanks for the quick reply.

I dont know abt the tpye of RFID reader :sad:..
I did use hyperterminal to check sim300, but i dont how to use it for a microcontroller...as in ...what instructions needs to be used send AT to Sim 300 from microcontroller?

on the RFID module it will be written DIGAND or anything..... does it have serial output...???

Write programs for controller to send date as shown in AT commands data sheet

or search in the forum.. i had posted programs for that ..

Yes it does have serial output.....so will i be able to get info from the rfid to micrcontroller ?

first connect the RFID module to PC and see what data you get on terminal when you swipe the card..

See if you get an special character as the first character inn the data.... if yes then ignore the first character when you read data from RFID.....

if there is no special character in the data frame.... store the value in the array and compare this value with the card data which is swiped and do the required function of your project.......

btw the rfid is of wiegand type...so what does this mean ?

hello sir
To program a microcontroller for a rfid with wiegand protocol (rfid has a serial cable output)......how do u go abt it ?

programming is very easy do as i said in post number 6... test it on terminal and create an array to read serial data and store it in controller' array.. thats all...................

Hi
I am having troubles in connecting microcontroller and gsm. this is what i done
1. I used a male to male rs 232 (db9) cable
2. I connected crossed rx and tx of microcontroller and gsm modules.

In both the cases i was just sending AT and on receiving OK, i made a led high.
I have failed in both the cases. So i need to whether i going in the direction or should i change the way i test ?
FYI : GSM module is working with terminal.

check the initial status of the port pin.. Is it high or low... also print OK on LCD to confirm.... if you dont get then swap tx and rx on one end of cable.

hi sir i have written the following program to control the gsm module (SIM module)...the program is written on arduino platform the problem is that i am unable to transmit anything from micrccoontroller board even i have crossed rx and tx pins and grounded both the ports, so i am not getting any msg from the gsm module. kindly check the code and correct me wherever necessary.

int a[30]={'A','T','+','C','M','G','S','='};
int b[10]={'9','3','4','2','5','4','5','0','0','0'};

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
for(int i=0; i < 8 ; i++)
{
delay(100);
Serial.write(a);
delay(100);
}
Serial.write(0X22);
delay(100);
for(int j= 0; j < 10; j++)
{
delay(100);
Serial.write(b[j]);
delay(100);
}
Serial.write(0X22);
Serial.write(0x0a);
delay(100);
Serial.write("hi");
delay(100);
Serial.write(0x0a);
Serial.println(0X1A);
}

Thanks Satya

connect your board to hyperterminal through UART and power it ON .. see if you can see the AT commands on terminal window.... if you can see it then you type OK on the hyperterminal screen and see if the controller gets that response and sends the next command....

1. why you declare array as int. rather itshould be unsigned char..
2. until you add + 91 to the number your message will not be send..............

Reactions: ramina

ramina

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi
I am interfacing Arduino pro mini with MC37i Gsm module.
Could you kindly tel me where the connections rts,dcd,cts,dtr,dsr of the gsm
will be connected in arduino.
Thank you

first check program, if it is working fine or not... only if it works its worth interfacing gsm to controller or else you will never know where the problem is...
1st check the program as i have told you. then use the same cable and test the gsm modem with hyperterminal and see if it responds to your input of AT command from terminal and prints the output response back on terminal.. then you interface modem and controller....

you can do it with tx rx and ground connection.. other pins are not mandatory.............

Thank you for the prompt reply.
It was of great help. I would take your advise and get back to you incase of any doubts.

Hi I have one more doubt as this is the first time I m working with GSM Modules.
The schematic of the MC37i seems very complicated.

As I will be requiring only SMS features of GSM Module, I can just avoid the other connections.
But the charging of the GSM module also looks a little complicated. Do I need to make all those connections given in Figure 40 of **broken link removed** , or is it ok just to connect the charger to the rechargeable battery alone while supply is given to the MC37i.

Hi priya...
sorry for delay
Connect tx, rx and gnd and leave the rest connections..
be careful when you use power supply.. see you dont short it any time....

Hello
I had written my first code in arduino using the Wire Library.
Could you kindly tell me where do I find the address of my RFID ( ID2); reset reader ; length and the cheksum as in the code:
eg.
Wire.beginTransmission(0x42); // the RFID reader's address is 42
Wire.send(0x01); // Length
Wire.send(0x80); // reset reader
Wire.send(0x81); // Checksum
Wire.endTransmission();
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor